Monday, April 15, 2013


Holy Spirit Reliance

Belkis Lehmann


Everyone who dwells in this mortal body daily battles the struggle between their desire to live a life of reliance on the Holy Spirit and the flesh’s seemingly black hole attraction to rely on themselves.  Below are five encouragements I share with you, as I walk on this journey with you.  This list is by no means exhaustive but meant more to stimulate thought, and more importantly prayer.  Please take a moment and add your own thoughts and ideas by commenting on this article at the new Great Lakes Staff Facebook group   Let’s start a conversation to help and encourage each other.

1.       Live in the security of the Holy Spirit’s presence in your life.  It does not matter the quality of building materials used, if the foundation is faulty.  The Holy Spirit is the restored presence of God for the people of God.  HE HAS COME.  He is here.  He dwells in you.  He works through you.  This is TRUE.   Embrace it and make it your foundation.

2.       Practice listening.  Listening is a large part of hearing.  We must listen to the Spirit’s voice in order to know what He desires.  His direction may be terrifying, but we can carry it out with confidence when we know it is His.  Practice is required for improvement. If you’d like to hear the Spirit’s voice clearer during a counseling session, an evangelistic opportunity, or a staff meeting, practice listening regularly every day.  The more you listen, the more you will hear.

3.       Embrace the cross.  In order to rely on the Holy Spirit, we must cease to rely on ourselves.  This is like trying to get away from yourself.  Everywhere you go, there you are.  Only the cross of Christ is able to accomplish this impossible task.  It is not ascetic self-denial, per say. It is the moment by moment decision to live out Galatians 2:20, “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”  Practically it means choosing others over ourselves, taking faith risks (we don’t need to rely on the Holy Spirit for that which is easy for us), and living by faith that God’s presence is with us.

4.       Fellowship with spiritual people.  The Biblical word spiritual means “of the Spirit” nothing more, nothing less.  This is how I use it here.  Spend time with people of the Spirit, people who challenge you, encourage you, and perhaps, even at times, rebuke you.  Most importantly those who cause you to desire a greater fellowship with the Holy Spirit.

5.       Cry. This may sound odd, but bear with me.  As I grow older I realize more and more God’s heart for humanity is one of compassion, kindness, love, and grace.  When that heart looks at this world, I think it weeps.  So crying for me (not for my own needs but for those of the world) has become a great way to fellowship with the Spirit, who laments in a way only an infinite, omnipotent, omniscient God can. 

What about you? How do you rely on the Holy Spirit? Continue the conversation here

No comments: